When brakes need a mechanic's attention, they usually give certain warning signals.
Common Signs of Wear
- A low or spongy pedal, which can mean there’s air in the hydraulic system
- A red brake-warning light that could indicate an imbalance in the system
- An amber brake-warning light that could signal a problem with the ABS system
- Continuous squeals and grinding sounds – these may mean it’s time for new brake pads or shoes
- Brake pad and rotor thickness – worn pads or rotors that are too thin cannot dissipate the extreme heat produced during braking
- Brake shoe and drum diameter – worn shoes or drums not only dissipate less heat, they can cause greater brake pedal travel
These conditions can cause longer stopping distances and difficult stopping in an emergency situation. Rotors and drums that are too thin may even become over-stressed and break.
Remember, any time you notice any of these or other symptoms it's a good idea to have the brakes checked. In fact, we recommend that you have them inspected once a year.
Rest assured, Midas has the proper diagnostic equipment, expertise, and quality brake part components for your vehicle makes and models.