Oil Change Service
One of the simplest, most effective and inexpensive ways to help protect the life of your car, especially its engine, is to change the oil and the oil filter regularly.
With a Midas oil change, or any other service, you’ll receive a Midas Touch® Courtesy Check. We’ll look inside, outside, under the hood and underneath the car, then explain the findings and give you a written report.
- Engine air filter
- Brake fluid
- Automatic transmission fluid
- Power steering fluid
We'll also walk you through your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations for replacing these vital fluids and filters.
Trust the Midas Touch.®
For over 60 years, Midas has been helping drivers across North America maintain their vehicles. With ASE-certified mechanics in all of our stores, we can take care of all of your auto repair and maintenance needs. From oil changes, filter replacements, and fluid flushes to brakes and brake repair, shocks and struts, muffler repair, tires, and wheel alignment, we’ve got you covered.
Oil change - more than you wanted to know
- Engine Oil Most cars on the road today use multi-grade oil — one that can work efficiently in cold and hot weather. A multi-grade oil is rated by two numbers, such as 5W-30.
- About the oil classification system. Each engine oil comes with a classification indicating its viscosity, which is its friction or resistance to flow. In a multi-grade oil, the first number indicates how the oil will flow when it is cold. The lower the number, the lighter the oil and the better it will perform at lower temperatures. The second number indicates the thickness of that same oil at high temperatures. For example, a 5W-30 oil will flow as a 5-weight oil at zero degrees Fahrenheit and as a 30-weight oil at 210 degrees Fahrenheit
- Why viscosity is a concern. During cold starting, only a small amount of oil is present in the upper parts of engines. To lessen the friction when upper engine parts, such as the valve train, pistons, overhead cam and cam bearings, scrub against each other, a lower viscosity allows the oil to reach the components more quickly.
- Why 5W-30 and 5w-20 oils are so popular. Many vehicles today leave the factory with 5W-30 or 5w-20 engine oil. Vehicle manufacturers recommend them because they are lighter oils that perform well in a range of temperatures and help improve gas mileage.
- Synthetic Oils Not all motor engine oils are 100% petroleum. Synthetic oils, which are primarily chemically compounded lubricants, are also available. They can provide:
- Higher viscosity stability over a wider temperature range
- Reduced oil thickening
- Reduced wear and increased load-carrying ability.
- Which oil is right for your car? The simplest and safest way to find out is to check your owner's manual...or talk to your Midas mechanic.
- Oil Filters Oil filters are designed to trap foreign particles suspended in the oil and prevent them from getting to the engine bearings and other parts.
- Fluids Your vehicle relies on a variety of fluids to operate its brake, steering, transmission, engine cooling and other systems. When these fluids become degraded or are at incorrect levels, damage to other components may occur...so always follow the manufacturer-recommended service schedule.
- Automatic Transmission Fluid This is typically an oil-based fluid used in a transmission that lubricates and cools the transmission and provides hydraulic pressure to shift gears automatically.
- Brake fluid This is the hydraulic fluid used to transmit pressure through the brake lines in a brake system providing stopping power and protecting hydraulic brake components from internal corrosion.
- Coolant/antifreeze This is the mixture of water and antifreeze used in an engine cooling system to dissipate heat and maintain the engine's temperature throughout its operating range.
- Starting & Charging The battery starts your car, powers on-board computers and supplies emergency power needs. A weakened battery causes stress on alternators and starters, especially during extreme temperatures. Let Midas test and inspect your battery regularly.
- Air Filters Clean air filters can increase engine performance, boost fuel mileage and reduce engine wear. Cabin air filters can minimize airborne contaminants in the passenger compartment and improve heating/cooling efficiency.
- Midas Touch ® Courtesy Check The Midas Touch® Courtesy Check is fast, efficient and covers many items on your vehicle’s preventive maintenance schedule. We’ll conduct a visual check, looking inside, outside, under the hood and under the vehicle, then provide you with a written report.