Radiator & Engine Cooling
That guy on the side of the road, hood up, steam spewing out? Don’t be that guy.
Car overheating can come from a variety of sources. With engine combustion temperatures reaching 2000° F and higher, there is a lot of heat to deal with. If your engine is running hotter than normal, either shortly after starting or over time, or if you find coolant (commonly referred to as antifreeze) puddled beneath your car, it's probably time to stop by your neighborhood Midas for an inspection.
Without a properly functioning cooling system, heat levels produced by your car’s engine are great enough to damage the components of the engine itself. Aluminum heads can warp. Head gaskets can blow. Engines can fail. And those are all big ticket repairs
Count on Midas to help keep your car's cooling system operating safely and efficiently and avoid preventable repair expenses. We recommend having coolant replacement performed according to your car’s factory-recommended maintenance schedule. This regular maintenance of your vehicle's radiator and cooling system can help avoid car overheating and costly repair services. And it’ll help keep you off the side of the road.
Stop by your local Midas with any questions or to determine when your vehicle needs this critical service.
Trust the Midas Touch®
Midas was the first automotive aftermarket repair chain to offer written estimates before performing auto repair service. That’s just good business. We were also the first to install clear windows and doors between the waiting area and service area, giving customers a transparent view of the work being performed on their cars. For nearly 60 years Midas has been earning the trust and confidence of car owners across North America. For brakes and brake repair, tires, oil changes, mufflers & exhaust, radiator repair, and all your auto repair needs, you can count on Midas to provide the auto repair service you need, only when you need it. Trust the Midas Touch®.
Whether you need a coolant flush and refill, radiator repair, water pump replacement, or any other engine cooling component service, Midas has you covered.
Engine cooling & radiators - more than you wanted to know.
A properly functioning cooling system, which circulates antifreeze/coolant and dissipates the heat away from the engine, is absolutely necessary to prevent car overheating and destructive engine temperatures.
Your vehicle has five principal components in its cooling system.
- Radiator — an auto radiator has a set of tubes called the "core" that the coolant flows through. Cooling fins surround the core. As air passes through the fins, the coolant releases its heat to the fins, which dissipate the heat.
- Radiator cap — there has to be a place to pour in coolant and the radiator cap covers that filling hole. The cap is also designed to seal the system to a specific pressure.
- Radiator hoses — the coolant goes from the radiator to the engine through a series of hoses that are sturdy and flexible enough to handle engine vibration and high heat.
- Thermostat — like the device on your home heating/cooling system, the engine thermostat keeps the engine at the proper operating temperature.
- Water pump — this is the heart of the engine cooling system. It pumps coolant through the whole cooling system, and into the engine block.